Built between 1694 and 1707 as a university church, Salzburg owes the Kollegienkirche to the Baroque architect and sculptor Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach, who also designed the Holy Trinity Church and the Ursulinen Church in Salzburg. Max Reinhardt and Hugo von Hofmannsthal regarded the Kollegienkirche as the appropriate location for the production of their mystery play Das Salzburger Grosse Welttheater (The Great Salzburg World Theatre) in 1922. The church authorities allowed the performance to go ahead on condition that the church underwent restoration according to a schedule directly adjusted to the performance. Max Reinhardt waived his fee and Hugo von Hofmannsthal dedicated 50% of his royalties to the renovation and to the Festival House Community, so that ultimately the church was renovated with finance from Hofmannsthal’s royalties, funding from the Festival House Community and state subsidies, each contributor making up one third of the overall sum.
Nevertheless over the following years the Kollegienkirche was not used as a venue. Concerts of sacred music took place during the interwar years in the Cathedral and after 1945 in the Great Hall of the University. It was not until 1969 that a scenic performance again took place: Emilio de’ Cavalieri’s Rappresentazione di Anima e di Corpo in the adaptation by Bernhard Paumgartner. This was a kind of sacred opera that was first performed in 1600 in Rome and despite the fact that it was a spectacular production with small dance interludes it was well received by the cardinals. After Handel’s Jephtha (1984–1986) and Saul (1985), George Tabori’s interpretation of Franz Schmidt’s Das Buch mit sieben Siegeln was staged in 1987 in the Kollegienkirche. The highly controversial production was banned immediately after the premiere by order of the archbishop and the chancellor of the university, and it was then given only as a concert performance. From the 1970s the Kollegienkirche was repeatedly used for sacred and choral concerts of the Salzburg Festival.
From 1993 the Zeitfluss festival directed by Tomas Zierhofer-Kin and Markus Hinterhäuser revived the Kollegienkirche as a venue with works of contemporary music. Since 2007, when Markus Hinterhäuser took over the planning of the concert programme of the Salzburg Festival, the Kollegienkirche has become the central venue for the series known as Kontinente (Continents). In 2008, as part of this festival within a festival, Salvatore Sciarrino’s opera Luci mie traditrici was performed here in a highly acclaimed production directed and designed by the renowned visual artist Rebecca Horn.
How to get there
Adress & contact
Wr.-Philharmonikergasse 2, 5020 Salzburg
The foyers are opened to Festival visitors one hour before the beginning of each performance.
Tel.: +43 662 8045 0
Trolley bus stop Herbert-v.-Karajan-Platz
Lines 1, 8, 10, A, 22, 23
Further bus lines operate from the foot-accessible trolley bus stops Ferdinand-Hanusch-Platz and Rathaus.
Festival ticket = bus ticket
Comfortably and relaxed to the Salzburg Festival – three hours before the beginning of the performance until end of operation, your festival ticket is valid as city bus ticket in the so-called ‘core-zone’!
Underground car park Altstadtgarage A+B
Hildmannplatz 1, 5020 Salzburg
Opening hours: daily 0-24 h
Franz-Josef-Kai, 5020 Salzburg
Opening hours: daily 0-24 h
Besides these special circumstances we would be able to provide: standing room tickets in the Felsenreitschule and in the Haus für Mozart. There are also standing room places at the Jedermann performances on the Domplatz. These are available starting one hour before the performance at the box office int the Franziskanergasse, but only if the performance takes place on the Domplatz (Cathedral Square). If the performance takes place in the Große Festspielhaus, no standing room tickets are available.