Cancellation of the Salzburg Whitsun Festival 2020
Cancellation Whitsun Festival
Until today, we still had hope that due to the consistent and courageous measures of the Austrian government the situation would ease off in time and that the Whitsun Festival 2020 could take place as planned.
However, as announced in the press conference of the Austrian government on April 6, 2020, it is necessary to prohibit performances of all kind in Austria until the end of June, in order not to peril the so far succesful containment of the coronavirus.
With our deep regret it is therefore also forbidden to stage the performances of this year’s Whitsun Festival. Naturally, also for us health has absolute priority over all artistic and economic matters.
It goes without saying that we will refund your ticket amount. You will soon receive the details for the procedure of the refund of your bought tickets by e-mail, more information will also be available on our website.
Statement Cecilia Bartoli
I am so terribly sorry that, due to the current situation, we are obliged to cancel this year’s Whitsun Festival in Salzburg!
I was so much looking forward to starting the rehearsals together with the fantastic Salzburg team, with my artist colleagues and to meeting our faithful public and friends who come to Salzburg every year or those who wanted to be there for the first time this year!
This decision breaks my heart, but one thing is evident – health comes first! There is no question that we, our whole society, must pull together and protect ourselves and our loved ones. These are difficult times for all of us but I am sure that the power of music will help us get through this.
Together with the Directorate of the Salzburg Festival we are already working on the exciting future, and I look forward to seeing you all as soon as possible! Until then, take good care of yourself, stay healthy and strong!
Yours, Cecilia Bartoli
With these words, Cecilia Bartoli, the Artistic Director of the Salzburg Whitsun Festival, expressed her profound regret at the cancellation of “her festival”. The Directorate, Helga Rabl-Stadler, Markus Hinterhäuser and Lukas Crepaz, share her sentiments with all their heart.
The plan was originally to make a decision on 15 April about the Whitsun Festival. Today’s press conference by Chancellor Kurz, however, in which the authorities announced a ban on all public events in Austria through the end of June, made it reasonable to reach a decision earlier.
Of course the Salzburg Festival particularly regrets having to disappoint the many fans of Salzburg and of Cecilia Bartoli. However, health takes precedence even over the most beautiful artistic projects, and over important financial considerations too.
Cecilia Bartoli is full of ideas for Whitsun 2021, and of course we all, the Directorate and Cecilia Bartoli, hope that the summer festival can take place.
15 May 2020
A modified Festival seems possible. Learn more
6 April 2020
As announced in the press conference of the Austrian government on April 6, 2020, it is necessary to prohibit performances of all kind in Austria until the end of June, in order not to imperil the containment of the coronavirus, which has been successful so far.
To our deep regret, we are thereby also prohibited from presenting the performances of this year’s Whitsun Festival.
The Salzburg Festival considers it its responsibility to do everything it can to prevent the coronavirus from spreading further:
- Plan for the Salzburg Festival
1.) Since 16 March 2020: All offices and workshops of the Salzburg Festival will remain closed for the time being until 13 April 2020.
2.) By 30 May 2020: Decision whether the Summer Festival will take place.
- Our ticket office for personal customer service is open during the usual opening hours
- Of course our online ticket shop is available 24 hrs at www.salzburgfestival.at and the ticket office team can be contacted by phone (+43-662-8045-500) and e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) as usual from Monday to Friday from 9:00 – 12:30 and 13:00 – 16:30.
- Public guided tours and group tours at the Festival Halls are not taking place until further notice.
- The planned start of direct ticket sales for the Summer Festival on 27.03.2020 will be postponed to 14.04.2020 and will then be handled exclusively via our online ticket shop.
- The Salzburg State Exhibition “Great World Theatre – 100 Years Salzburg Festival” cannot start on the scheduled date (25.4.). The artistic intervention “The Dream of a Fairy Temple” will also be postponed indefinitely.
We understand the general confusion and insecurity and have therefore added a page to our website with Frequently Asked Questions and information on the coronavirus.
Questions and Answers
So far, the following measures have been implemented:
- As a contribution to the urgently needed containment of the coronavirus, we have decided to close all offices and workshops of the Salzburg Festival for the time being until 14.04.2020 We hope this will help us to celebrate our 100th anniversary. Thank you for your understanding.
- Naturally, we, the Salzburg Festival, want to take responsibility for our customers, our staff and our fellow citizens of Salzburg and make every contribution to preventing the coronavirus from spreading further: we are following the orders and recommendations of the Austrian government and are in permanent contact with the relevant authorities.
- We keep our ticket office closed for personal customer service, until End of April. Of course our online ticketshop is available 24 hrs at www.salzburgfestival.at and the ticket office team can be contacted by phone (+43-662-8045-500) and e-mail (email@example.com). Please find the opening hours here.
- In addition, no public guided tours and group tours will take place at the Festival Halls.
- Information and recommendations for all employees regarding hygiene, travel, actions to take in case of illness
- Training of sales and front-of-house staff regarding information for the public, behaviour in cases of crisis
- Training of cleaning staff: special and regular cleaning of all surfaces, handrails, bars, toilets, dressing rooms, tables, etc… at all Festival theatres and offices.
- Provision of disinfectant: all restrooms and gastronomic areas as well as crucial entrance and exit points have been fitted with disinfectant dispensers
- Regular exchange of information with all artists and ensembles and, if necessary, support for them as prevention measures take effect
- Establishment of one central information point for all customers and visitors to the Salzburg Festival:
We hope this will help us to celebrate our 100th anniversary with Whitsun and summer festivals. Thank you for your understanding.
In addition, news will always be published on our website:
As well as on our Facebook page:
The State of Salzburg has established a website especially for this issue. Here is the link:
The State of Salzburg also informs its citizens via Facebook:
General information on the coronavirus in Austria: