Open large map in a new window
In 1696 Prince-Archbishop Johann Ernst Graf Thun (1687–1709) had a grain and hay storage silo built to the right of the former court stables. This was the original purpose of the so-called Schüttkasten, of which after substantial renovation work only the façade remains. In 1996 this last remaining building in the complex of court stables used by the Salzburg Festival was opened as a modern communication centre where exhibitions are mounted, lectures held, panel discussions as well as concerts take place. The building also houses the ticket office, the Festival and Max Reinhardt Archives as well as the Salzburg Literature Archives. For the staircase the Austrian painter Hubert Schmalix, who lives in Los Angeles, created a vivid mural on the theme of Orpheus and Eurydice. The Schüttkasten also contains an additional rehearsal hall whose excellent acoustics are repeatedly praised. The Salzburg architect Wilhelm Holzbauer devised the plans for the conversion work.