Open large map in a new window
With 180 rooms the Residenz is very spacious; it is not associated with any particular architect nor does it have a uniform building concept. The first complex of buildings on this site dates back to the 15th century; Prince-Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau (ruled from 1587 to 1612) instigated a general renovation of the temporal residential and prestigious palace at the end of the 16th century. While this work was in progress he had a southern wing built on the side of the cathedral square with a magnificent staircase and the hall which admittedly not until the 18th century took its name from the life guard, the Carabinieri Saal. Johann Ernst Graf von Thun (ruled from 1687 to 1709) commissioned Johann Michael Rottmayr to decorate this hall with magnificent ceiling paintings.
Markus Sittikus von Hohenems (ruled from 1612 to 1619) had previously had the wing on the side of the Alter Markt and the building adjoining the Churfürststrasse built. After completion of the building of the cathedral the two-storey Residenz appeared to be too low and so Guidobald Graf Thun (ruled from 1654 to 1668) added an extra floor and the attic (1664).