The Karl-Böhm-Saal (Karl-Böhm-Hall) is used mainly during intermissions nowadays. It was built in 1662 by Archbishop Johann Ernst Thun as the Winter Riding School and took its present form in 1926. At the end of the hall, which is about 50 m long, Clemens Holzmeister exposed the conglomerate stone of the Mönchsberg and designed a wrought iron screen for the fireplace. The screen depicts the various uses and history of this hall: You will find a Salzburg coat of arms, bishop's mitre, lyre, horseshoe, treble clef and theatrical masks. Above the baroque stone balustrade there is a heavily ornamented plaque inscribed with the date when building began. The walls are paneled in wood and the balcony consoles bear carved heads. The ceiling fresco, covering almost 600 square meters, is one of the largest of its kind in Austria. In 1690 the Salzburg court painter Johann Michael Rottmayr and his pupil Christoph Lederwasch were commissioned to decorate the ceiling for a fee of 1,200 florins. Their patron, Archbishop Johann Ernst Thun (1687-1709), still observes the activity in the hall – as a statue – seated on a "balcony" at one end of the painting surrounded by his courtiers.
The fresco was restored in 1926, and again in 1976 when the roof timbers were refurbished. It shows soldiers attacking puppet Turks. The sport of "sticking the Turk´s head" (Türkenkopfstechen) served in baroque times as training for cavalry attack. When the Felsenreitschule was rebuilt in 1969/70, Clemens Holzmeister added two wooden staircases up to the podium, matching the character of the room. A bronze bust commemorates this important architect. Since 1995 works by contemporary artists, such as tapestries by Jörg Immendorff and Achim Freyer, adorn the right-hand side of the hall.
|Ägyptisches Dinner mit ägyptischer Musik