Salzburg Cathedral is the largest early baroque church north of the Alps. The first church on this site was built in 774 by St. Virgil. In 1598 the cathedral was destroyed by fire, whereupon Archbishop Wolf Dietrich commissioned a new cathedral. Construction began in 1614 under Archbishop Markus Sittikus, and the cathedral was dedicated in 1628 by Archbishop Paris Lodron. Damaged by bombing in 1944, the cathedral was restored in 1959. The statue of Mary in the Cathedral Square was completed in 1771 by Wolfgang and Johann Babtist Hagenauer. The figures around the base personify wisdom, the church, an angel and the Devil. Since 1920, this has been the setting for Hugo von Hofmannsthal's Jedermann.
The square seats 2,544 people. Within the temporary stage, there are several trap doors and pits for the actors. In bad weather Jedermann is performed at the Großes Festspielhaus.
EVENTS AND CATEGORIES